This course is approved for 8-9 CEUs. Click here for number of CEUs approved for your state.
This 8-hour course covers the basic skills necessary and to safely begin Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM) techniques. In this introductory skills acquisition course, participants will receive hands-on instruction in the proper use of IASTM through a lab-focused teaching format. The course will address proper instrument selection to address body contours and reach target tissues. At the end of the course, attendees will take an exam for a certification in Level I: IASTM Fundamentals.
Please dress to allow access to your entire upper and lower quarters to enhance the learning process.
Who Should Attend+
In order to attend a HawkGrips IASTM course, each attendee must meet all of the following criteria:
1. Completed a minimum of 80 course hours of anatomy and physiology
2. Have a working knowledge of the musculoskeletal system and relevant physiology
3. Be able within the scope of professional practice to do assessments by evaluating and/or diagnosing injuries and conditions
4. Have achieved or is a student in their junior or senior year (transcripts required) working towards one or more of the following credentials: ATC, CHT, CLT, DC, DO, DOM, MD, MT, ND, OT, OTA, PT, PTA, RN.
For other relevant credentials please contact HawkGrips to verify eligibility.
Introduction – theoretical basis of IASTM, review of current literature
• Lecture format to review highlights of the online course material focusing on evidence in current literature and theories behind using IASTM as a treatment technique
• Review of indications, precautions, and contraindications
Basic handling, tool selection, and basic treatment strokes lab
• Lab based basic skills component for participants to learn proper tool handing, basic treatment strokes, and proper tool selection based on target tissues using the thigh and knee as a forgiving region for skill acquisition
• Included is a free-play open lab to allow participants opportunity to have access to tools for free-form learning and question development
Lecture/discussion – treatment integration and dosing
• Treatment time and frequency
• Location of IASTM in the flow of therapy visit
Myofascia and cutaneous strokes lab
• Body regions and specific tools selected to highlight large surface – broad strokes
• Desensitizing strokes targeting cutaneous tissue heighted
• Surgical incision and superficial scar release strokes highlighted
Deep muscle strokes lab
• Multiple tools and body regions selected to highlight muscle interfaces and planes
• Emphasis on tool selection based on body contours, depth of target tissue, and size of target area
Ligament/ tendon treatment strokes lab
• Strokes specific to ligamentous and tendon tissue targeted
• Multiple body regions selected for skills acquisition
Hard tissue/soft tissue interface lab
• Body regions and specific tools selected to highlight strokes to facilitate mobility of bone/tendon/muscle/soft tissue interfaces
Instruction in use of the Multi-tool and skills integration lab
• Treatment edges
• Tool orientation for treatment effects
• Problem solving case study for integration of skills covered in course
Course - Level I: IASTM Fundamentals - Lafayette LA - February 23rd, 2019
Early-Bird Price: $349 until 1/23/2019 with Discount Code LAFAYETTEEB
IMPORTANT! If you choose a Level I and Level II course bundle, you will only see the Level I course date during checkout.
You'll receive a registration email after checkout with both course dates.
We Also Recommend
Course - Level I: IASTM Fundamentals - Las Vegas NV - September 8th, 2018