This course is approved for up to 11 CEUs (including pre course assignments). Click here for number of CEUs approved for your state.
This 8-hour course covers the basic skills necessary and to safely begin Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM) techniques. In this introductory skills acquisition course, participants will receive hands-on instruction in the proper use of IASTM through a lab-focused teaching format. The course will address proper instrument selection to address body contours and reach target tissues. At the end of the course, attendees will take an exam for a certification in Level I: IASTM Fundamentals.
Please dress to allow access to your entire upper and lower quarters to enhance the learning process.
At the completion of this program, the participant will be able to:
1. List the precautions and contraindications for IASTM.
2. Understand, identify, and apply the appropriate IASTM treatment edge based on the target tissue and desired treatment effect.
3. Choose appropriate basic treatment IASTM strokes based on the body region contours, nature of the soft tissue restriction, and desired treatment outcome.
4. Integrate IASTM intervention into the overall treatment program to produce carry-over of the treatment effect and enhance treatment outcomes.
Who Should Attend+
In order to attend a HawkGrips IASTM course, each attendee must meet all of the following criteria:
1. Completed a minimum of 80 course hours of anatomy and physiology
2. Have a working knowledge of the musculoskeletal system and relevant physiology
3. Be able within the scope of professional practice to do assessments by evaluating and/or diagnosing injuries and conditions
4. Have achieved or is a student in their junior or senior year (transcripts required) working towards one or more of the following credentials: ATC, CHT, CLT, DC, DO, DOM, MD, MT, ND, OT, OTA, PT, PTA, RN.
For other relevant credentials please contact HawkGrips to verify eligibility.
Introduction – theoretical basis of IASTM, review of current literature
• Lecture format to review highlights of the online course material focusing on evidence in current literature and theories behind using IASTM as a treatment technique
• Review of indications, precautions, and contraindications
Basic handling, tool selection, and basic treatment strokes lab
• Lab based basic skills component for participants to learn proper tool handing, basic treatment strokes, and proper tool selection based on target tissues using the thigh and knee as a forgiving region for skill acquisition
• Included is a free-play open lab to allow participants opportunity to have access to tools for free-form learning and question development
Lecture/discussion – treatment integration and dosing
• Treatment time and frequency
• Location of IASTM in the flow of therapy visit
Myofascia and cutaneous strokes lab
• Body regions and specific tools selected to highlight large surface – broad strokes
• Desensitizing strokes targeting cutaneous tissue heighted
• Surgical incision and superficial scar release strokes highlighted
Deep muscle strokes lab
• Multiple tools and body regions selected to highlight muscle interfaces and planes
• Emphasis on tool selection based on body contours, depth of target tissue, and size of target area
Ligament/ tendon treatment strokes lab
• Strokes specific to ligamentous and tendon tissue targeted
• Multiple body regions selected for skills acquisition
Hard tissue/soft tissue interface lab
• Body regions and specific tools selected to highlight strokes to facilitate mobility of bone/tendon/muscle/soft tissue interfaces
Instruction in use of the Multi-tool and skills integration lab
• Treatment edges
• Tool orientation for treatment effects
• Problem solving case study for integration of skills covered in course
Course - Level I: IASTM Fundamentals - Lafayette LA - February 23rd, 2019
Early-Bird Price: $349 until 1/23/2019 with Discount Code LAFAYETTEEB
IMPORTANT! If you choose a Level I and Level II course bundle, you will only see the Level I course date during checkout.
You'll receive a registration email after checkout with both course dates.